Sunday, March 13, 2011

iPad 2

After much deliberation I decided to go for the iPad 2 and put my iPad 1 for sale on Gazelle. The new Apple A5 SoC with its dual-core processor promising 2x faster performance than the Apple A4 and 9x graphics improvements pushed me to open my wallet one more time for Apple.

Decisions, Decisions

Black or White?

Initially I was very sure that I was going to get the white model. However after some research I found that the white bezel can be really distracting while watching videos. Also the white bezel reflects light and the perceived contrast ratio might be weaker due to the light colored bezel. Also I really like the black border on my 15" MacBook Pro screen in comparison with the silver colored border on my 11.6" MacBook Air screen. So I decided, Black it will be.

16 GB/32 GB/64 GB

I own a 16 GB version of iPad 1 and the available space can fill up real quick with photos and games. iPad is a terrific device to show your beautiful pictures to friends and family and it would be a bummer to not have enough space for this. Also videos can gobble lots of space. So I decided to move up from 16 GB and 64 GB will be too much for my requirements. So I decided, 32GB it will be.

Wi-Fi/3G

I originally bought a 3G version of the original iPad but sold it when I was very rarely using 3G data. With iOS 4.3 I can now engage the AT&T personal hotspot on my iPhone 4 and share the data connection over Wi-Fi with three other devices. So this was and I decided, Wi-Fi only it will be.

Launch Day

Apple advertised that on launch day - Mar 11, 2011, iPad 2 will be available in Best Buy, Target, Walmart and Sams Club in addition to Apple Stores. No pre-orders this time around.

I went to my local Target at around 4:30 PM and they told me that they have already given away vouchers in advance and that they have a total of 5 iPads to sell. They told me that I can hang out to see if someone with a voucher doesn't show up at 5 PM. I said no thanks and drove to WalMart. I skipped Best Buy because I knew that most of the city would have already lined up over there. Many people still don't know that Walmart sells iPads but everyone and their newborn knows that Best Buy with its pedigree sells iPads.

When I went to my local Walmart store, there were around 8 people already in line and I walked out with the last available 32 GB black iPad 2 at 5:10 PM.

Initial impressions

Packaging

As they did with the product, Apple slimmed down the iPad 2 box as well -

iPad 1 on the left, iPad 2 on the right


Unboxing

Apple didn't pack any goodies in the box other than the wall charger and the USB cable.


(iPad 1 on the left and iPad 2 on the right)

Experience

  1. iPad 2 is much more comfortable and natural to hold than iPad 1. The reduced thickness by 33% really makes a lot of difference. It doesn't feel like holding a glass slab.
  2. The Wi-Fi only model of the iPad 1 weighs around 1.5 pounds and the equivalent iPad 2 model weighs around 1.33 pounds. So though the weight difference is not much but the iPad 2 does feel lighter to hold. It's thinner form factor also contributes towards the perceived lighter weight of iPad 2.
  3. It is fast, very fast. iPad 2 is very fast and the difference shows up in every single app including mobile Safari. This makes the whole experience much more enjoyable.
  4. The 30 pin connector end of the iPad 1 USB cable doesn't work with iPad 2.
  5. iPad 1 Keyboard dock doesn't work with iPad 2 and Apple doesn't have a iPad 2 Keyboard dock to sell, yet.
  6. For some reason the whites and colors are more crisp and true on the iPad 2. The screen looks better than iPad 1.
  7. Cameras are adequate for FaceTime and for FaceTime only. They are bad, very bad for stills.
Recommendation

If you already have an iPad 1 and can afford it then sell your product and go buy the iPad 2. Even if you don't do FaceTime, the improved speed and great graphics (best in class in the market today by a wide, very wide margin. Go check at AnandTech) will make it a very great buy.

If you don't have a tablet then what are you waiting for? Go get the latest iPad 2. There is absolutely nothing in market today that can match the experience, price, apps of iPad 2.

2011 indeed is the year of iPad 2.

No comments: